Month: October 2017
According to Encyclopedia Britannica, public diplomacy, or people’s diplomacy, is any of various government-sponsored efforts aimed at communicating directly with foreign publics.
Indeed, according to Joseph S. Nye, there are 3 powers in public diplomacy’s
- The hard power: Army and Economy, in this approach the target audiences take part by their fear or their interest (fear-based management)
- The soft power: Communicate, dialogue, Persuade and convince, in this approach the target audiences take part by their conviction (perception-based management).
- The smart power: By combining hard & soft power depending on the circumstances and this will combine effect, by making it superpower and that’s why it’s known as the smart one, in this tactic the target audiences take part by conviction but know that you dialogue because you are kind, also you have his interest and you can be dangerous if necessary. Generally, this approach is using this for a country but also it can be used for profit or not-for-profit organization and even it can start from ourselves
Finally, what do you think of the 3 approaches? The hard power? The soft power? The smart power? And tell me more about Public Diplomacy…
- Nye Joseph, Is the American Century Over? 2015,
- Nye Joseph, The Future of Power 2011,
- Nye Joseph, The Powers to Lead, 2008
- Nye Joseph, Soft power the means to success in world politics 2004,
Image Posted on
One day I went to our quarter’s supermarket to buy something and when arrived there I have remarked that the seller was unhappy!
– Are you well (said I)?
– Our today’s customers are no longer okay anymore (replied she)!
– Do you mean that we are no good at all (interrogated I)?
– I don’t mean you, I mean the rest of customers (corrected she)!
– So yourself included (specified I)?
– No! … The customers I said (insisted she)!
– Yes, but you are one of them (persisted I)! Because you are buying and consuming every day as well as all those you are calling customers are doing (clarified I)!
– Finally, our selling expert laughed and I did the same … Then both, without adding a word, we were smiling and laughing till I’ve bought what I wanted to buy and after what I went back to home…
Well, my dear sellers,
We are all customers.